The Information Technology and Web Services (ITWS) Department Head provides leadership and direction for innovative information and web technologies for the Auraria Library. The successful candidate will focus on developing, managing, and assessing user-centered technology services that benefit the Auraria Campus community. This position oversees the work of two units: the Information Technology and the Web Services Teams. The Web Services Team is responsible for the web development, maintenance, support, and assessment of the mission-critical Library website as well as other public and internal facing applications of the Library. The Information Technology Team is responsible for the entire Library’s desktop and IT infrastructure services. The Department Head ensures that computing and infrastructure technology for the end-user and for Library staff are operating with maximum efficiency and effectiveness through excellent project management. This position oversees the administration and maintenance of existing systems and the Library’s technology budget of currently about $250,000.
The Information Technology and Web Services Department consists of five full-time employees and approximately five student employees. This position will directly supervise five full-time employees and reports to the Digital and Scholarly Services Associate Director.
This position contributes to the development and implementation of the Library’s vision and strategic directions including engaging in the mission of the Auraria Library to support learning, research, and education. The Department Head will establish and lead a cross-library technology committee that will collaboratively coordinate and recommend strategies about the direction and implementation of technologies in the Library.
Located in downtown Denver, Colorado, the Auraria Campus is home to three institutions of higher education – University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, and Community College of Denver – the latter two are federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institutions. The Auraria Library serves the campus’ over 45,000 students, including many first-generation, underrepresented, and non-traditional students, and sees more than 750,000 visits a year. Auraria Library is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from historically underrepresented candidates. The library seeks candidates who embrace a multicultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace, and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions.
Digital and Scholarly Services, Associate Director
- Web Services Team (3 University Staff)
- Information Technology and Desktop Support Team (2 University Staff)
- Student Employees as needed
Job Duties and Organizational Leadership
- Provides leadership and direction as the primary technology strategist for the Auraria Library.
- Works collaboratively to strategize, select, purchase, integrate, and implement new and/or replacement technologies and tools for Library users and staff such as the Internet of Things, workflow forms, library knowledge management tools/intranets, RESTful applications, digital signage, institutional repository, help ticket systems, and staff communication tools, and visionary pilots.
- Communicates across the Library about technology trends in higher education and leads a cross-library technology committee to collaboratively coordinate and recommend strategies about the direction and implementation of technologies in the Library.
- Oversees the Information Technology and Web Services annual budget including making cost/benefit recommendations and decisions to maximize the use of available resources; negotiating contracts; tracking IT/web related subscriptions; and generally understanding budgetary principles.
- Participates in internal and external committees, partnerships, and initiatives.
- Works with campus entities including the offices of information technology of the four institutions on campus, especially the CU Denver Office of Information Technology.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with departments across the Library to support their work (e.g., works with Discovery and Metadata Department to create workflow tools, confers with Access and Public Services, Department Head to improve technology services in the public space).
Leadership in Web Services
- Leads Web Services Team in imagining, developing, implementing, and assessing innovative, strategic technology solutions to fulfill the Library’s mission and vision.
- Leads Web Services Team in providing consultation, support, and problem resolution to ensure that Library websites are usable, functional, integrated, interoperable, and serve the Library’s goals.
- Oversees web infrastructure, development, implementation, including ensuring effective, compliant, secure, efficient operations, including Drupal migrations.
- Assesses current and prospective web services vendors (e.g. Pantheon) in terms of quality service, pricing, contract fulfillment, and renegotiating service/pricing structures when able.
- Envisions the future of web services.
Leadership in Information Technology
- Leads the Information Technology Team in imagining, developing, implementing, and assessing innovative, strategic technology solutions to fulfill the Library’s mission and vision.
- Ensures implementation of software and hardware upgrades.
- Oversees the Library’s server infrastructure and VM environments.
- Oversees the Library’s 400+ Windows and Apple computers, including network authentication via Active Directory.
- Identifies and eliminates security vulnerabilities.
- Leads Information Technology Team in providing consultation, support, training, and problem resolution to serve the Library’s goals.
- Directs the development and implementation of Library information technology including ensuring effective, compliant, secure, efficient operations.
- Assesses current and prospective IT vendors (e.g. Bibliotheca, Envisionware) in terms of quality service, pricing, contract fulfillment, and renegotiating service/pricing structures when able.
- Supervises a department of five university staff and student employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's or higher in computer science, information systems/technology, library science or in a related field.
- Significant experience in the areas of IT and/or web services such as information technology infrastructure, desktop support, programming, web design, or computer information systems.
- Progressively responsible experience at the management level in the areas of IT and/or web services.
- Supervisory experience.
- Master's or higher in computer science, information systems/technology, library science or in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience leading IT and/or web projects in a higher education or a library setting.
- Experience with Drupal, institutional repositories, and/or integrated library systems.
- Experience with federated identity management services, server infrastructure and VM environments, active directories, deployment of Windows and Apple workstations, and/or networking.
- Experience working with web client and server applications, databases, web programming environment, HTML, CSS, SML, PHP, Git, scripting languages, and/or Drupal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of key issues, best practices, and emerging technologies critical to information technology and web services in an academic environment.
- Ability to lead and manage complex teams with excellent project management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries or higher education.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative environment and to contribute to professional service.
- Exemplary interpersonal and written communication skills, including communications with individuals with varying levels of technology expertise plus a demonstrated commitment to professional development/achievement.
- Ability to collaboratively create an exciting, future-oriented library.
The hiring range for this position has been established at $82,827 to $100,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by12/3/20. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current CV/resume
- List of five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Questions should be directed to: Kelsey Brett at email@example.com.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations on all prospective employees.
Learn more About Auraria Library.