Collection Development and Strategies Department 04.21.2023
The Auraria Library’s inaugural “Auraria Writes: A Celebration of Faculty Book Authors” event brought together tri-institutional leadership to honor prominent and up-and-coming faculty authors from across the Auraria Campus institutions on April 19, 2023, from 10 – 11:30 a.m. at the Auraria Library. The event highlighted the indispensable partnership between institutional faculty and the Auraria Library, which strives to have a copy of every publication by faculty in the library collection for checkout.
Presentations from Amazing Authors
More than 30 attendees, including the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver) Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs Constancio Nakuma, Associate Vice Chancellor of Faculty Affairs Turan Kayaoglu, and the (MSU Denver) Metropolitan University of Denver Interim Provost of Academic Affairs Marie Mora gave remarks before hearing presentations from a selection of faculty authors:
- Thomas J. Noel – CU Denver – Boom and Bust Colorado: From the 1859 Gold Rush to the 2020 Pandemic - 2020
- Lisa Forbes – CU Denver – Professors at Play Playbook: Real World Techniques from a More Playful Higher Education Classroom - 2022
- James Aubrey – MSU Denver - Vampire Films Around the World: Essays on the Cinematic Undead of Sixteen Cultures - 2020
- Jessica A. Ritter – MSU Denver – Social Work Policy Practice: Changing our Community, Nation and the World – 2022
- Melissa Randall – Community College of Denver (CCD) – Fundamentals of Business Law - 2020
“We don’t have nearly enough events together,” said Nakuma about the event bringing together CU Denver, MSU Denver, and the CCD, “With many of these books being open access, we are making them easily available to students… that’s good social work. That’s what we do as universities.”
A reception followed the presentations where attendees could review and check out books by faculty authors. The inaugural event was by invitation only to faculty authors who had published in the last three years; however, the Auraria Library plans to expand the event to include additional types of publications and welcome more faculty in the future.
Forging an Indispensable Partnership
The Auraria Library’s vision is to be an indispensable partner in the educational experiences of the Auraria Campus’ students, faculty, and staff providing more than a million resources to advance research and education at the University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan University of Denver, and the Community College of Denver.